Saturday, September 8, 2007

Meeting Yan

We made it to Lugansk and are doing well! We flew from Kiev on Wednesday evening and got into Lugansk around 10:00 pm. We had to get up pretty early on Thursday morning to meet with the local Inspector and then the Director of the Children's home to get permission to meet Yan. It was probably around 12:00 pm by the time we were able to actually meet him.

Our first interaction was in an office with 6 or 7 adults. It was a bit awkward and Yan was appropriately shy. We were able to go back to his room to play with him for a couple of hours after the initial meeting. The time flew as the three of us became more familiar with each other playing with Legos and doing a puzzle. He was very excited about playing with both and it served as a great activity to get to know each other. He did well with both.


Within a short period of time, Yan began to make eye contact, smile, ask for help and began to show affection. It was an incredible experience. I think we were more nervous than he. There are about 12 children in his "groupa" evenly split between boys and girls. Yan shares a room with 5 other boys. They are obviously very close. He was very excited to share his new toys with some of his friends. Near the end of our first meeting, one of the other boys stuck his head in the door and asked Yan if we were his new parents and were going to take him home with us. Yan responded "yes" to his friend and immediately looked at Karen and I and asked us "yes?" as if to say "I am - right?"


Yan speaks Russian. He is a talkative child. The language barrier is harder than we expected. We have a translator with us 90% of the time, but we still feel as though we are missing so much. We had a chance to visit with him again yesterday (Friday). He gave us each a big hug and told us he was hoping that we were going to come back. Later on in the day, he asked if we were from Amercia and if he was going to come on a plane with us. Going out to the play ground he looked at Karen - called her Mama and asked her to hold his hand. The whole experience is just wild. There is no other way to put it. The children are taken care of very well. Those that work there obviously love the children very much.

Below are a couple pictures of Yan and Karen. One in his room, one where Yan is sharing a juice box we brought for him with Karen and the other in the playground with Karen. As you can see form the pictures, he has dark eyes, is missing a couple of front teeth and is usually smiling and happy. Basically, he is a normal skinny 6-year old. There are so many stories to share that we can't wait to tell you all about.


Our schedule is beginning to shape up as follows. We will likely go to court to adopt Yan this Friday. If all goes well in court, we will have a 10-day waiting period before the adoption is final. After that, we have a couple days of getting a birth certificate and other paperwork in Lugans'k and then back to Kiev for 3 - 4 days. After that - we head for home!!! Over the next couple weeks, we will be able to visit Yan on a daily basis from 3 - 5 pm. So our days will be centered around that. Great time to get to know Yan or is it Michael?









32 comments:

Mom4-5-scotts said...

This is the best thing that has ever popped up on my computer!I am so Happy!!He's perfect!!

andy szczepkowski said...

Dear Karen and Michael,
Congratulations and wow!! Yan is just adorable and your post is so touching. I am so happy for you all. What a privilege to be allowed to share all of this with you! I am so relieved you've reached this point in your journey. Now, get the heck back home ASAP!!!
love and hugs,
Andy

the manchel family said...

What beautiful pictures!!! We are all so excited for you. Have fun getting to know Yan and of course we look forward to your safe and speedy return. Our hearts are with you all three of you.
Carolyn, Rob, Alexandra and Leah

Grace said...

Yan is so cute!! I can't wait until you are all home and we get to meet him, have fun in hopefully your last few weeks in the Ukraine, come back soon!!!!!
love
grace

Timmins Family said...

Wow! he is so cute! I am so happy for all three of you. I woke up early because I knew there were going to be pictures! I cried the whole time I looked at the pictures, and read the post. (Happy tears, of course) I love all three of you! Congratulations.
Love,
Monica

Timmins Family said...

How wonderful to see him with you! I LOVED reading the post! It's so amazing to be able to share in this gift with you - Thank you! And Micheal, love your suspense at the end technique! But, I don't think it's necessary - your "ratings" could be any higher.
Love to all three of you!

Jackie (your favorite cousin) said...

WOOHOO!!CONGRATULATIONS HE IS FINALLY HERE.
KELLY AND I ARE BOTH ON THE COMPUTER BUT SHE SAW YOUR SON FIRST, HER RESPONSE WAS "HE IS SO CUTE".
kAREN YOU LOOK LIKE A NATURAL MOM, HE IS SO ADORABLE. THE PART WHEN YAN CALLED YOU MAMA MADE ME TEAR UP.
I AM SO HAPPY FOR THE BOTH OF YOU. I CAN'T WAIT TO SHOW MY PARENTS THE PICTURES OF YOUR SON.
BEST OF LUCK AND HAVE A SAFE JOURNEY.
LOVE
JACKIE AND KELLY

The LaMonica Family said...

He is so cute!! I am so happy for you! Thank you for for sharing this experience with us!
Please get home with him as fast as you can!!!
love you,
laurie, anthony and avery!

Marla Battipaglia said...

Dear Karen & Michael,

What are the chances that I would run into your mother Michael at Shoprite on Thursday! At that point you were on your way to meet Yan(Yanni or Michael). Seeing the pictures with Karen and Yan together brought tears to my eyes I am just sooooo happy for you both and let me tell you Yan is the luckiest child I will ever know to have parents like you! He is adorable and fits perfectly with you guys! The wait was surely worth it. Have a wonderful next couple of weeks and a safe trip home. Can't wait to meet YOUR SON.

Love Marla

Katie Owens said...

Aunt Katie here, with a box of tissues. How long can a person stare at the same 3 photos on a computer screen & cry??? We are already in love with your son. Karen & Mike, it is so nice to have pictures! The kids and I just spent the past hour staring at Yan/Michael's picture...imagining how he will look in next year's "tall to short" Easter photo. And, how he will look next summer flying around on Super Mable! Sean's comment: "I think he likes the juice box!" Kelly says, "He gets such a cool Dad! He has a boat, a tube, and 2 dogs!" He is just perfect, and we can't wait to meet him here at home.
Love, KT

Tracy Mazuer said...

YAY! YAY! YAY! YAN! YAN! YAN!
this is the best news EVER!
Keep going and get home soon. There's hope for all of us adoptive parents! ;-)

Terri Albaugh said...

Hi Mike & Karen,

I am so happy for the 3 of you, he is a very lucky little boy!
I think it is awesome that you have been able to share the experience of a lifetime with us. Looking forward to the next update!

xoxox,
Terri Albaugh

The Dollarton Family said...

Simply put...this is AWESOME news! Yan is a very lucky little boy, and very cute may I add!
Best of Luck these upcoming weeks and be sure to enjoy your every afternoon with your new son, Yan!!! Love, Susan

Beth said...

Hi Mike & Karen,

He is so beautiful!!!! I am so happy for the two of you. Enjoy your time together. Looking forward to seeing the three of you when you return home.

Love
Beth

Julie Smith said...

Karen and Mike,

As soon as I started reading your post I got goosebumps and tears filled my eyes. Yan is obviously sooooooooo excited to meet the two of you. He has no idea however, how lucky of a little boy he is to have the two of you as parents. I can't imagine what you must be feeling right now. I'm sure you are very anxious to have the "process" over with soon and to be able to bring your beautiful son home.

Julie

the manchel family said...

Hi Karen-
I just ran into your Mom and Carrie at Pottery Barn Kids (just a quick little switch from pink to blue!). Your mom had a smile from ear to ear. It was great to see them today, especially because of all the good news to share together! Keep the updates coming.
Love-
Carolyn

Jim McTear said...

That was the coolest e-mail we ever received! I find myself checking the computer every couple of hours just to see if there is more good news....

Leslie said...

Congratulations, Karen and Michael! It appears the wait was well worth it!

ileene said...

This is the BEST news. You are all SOOOO lucky to have found each other. It seems like the wait was forever, but very worth it. We can't wait to meet Yan and Scott has offered to teach him everything about sports that he needs to know, he said that sports are all one language! Please enjoy yourselves and hurry back.

LOVE,
ileene

Graves Family said...

Congratulations! He is ADORABLE and one lucky little boy. I had tears in my eyes as I was reading your post. We can't begin to tell you how happy we are for you! You are going to have a wonderful life together!

Nancy DiNubile said...

On Friday Sis called to tell me the news and asked that I let everone know at work. I sent out an e-mail trying to describe what she told me but when I saw the pictures it just made it all real. I am just so happy for you guys. I beleve Yan was the child that was destined to be yours. He is so adorable and the two of you together well OK how much can we take.. It's just great. The final stretch is here and we can't wait to meet him.. LOVE AND kISSES.

Ford Scott said...

Lets see where to begin. O yea congratuations on meeting Yan. All this waiting is paying off so far so that is good. But on an unrelated note your daily dosage of scores from around the league. Eagles just lost to the Packers 16-13. patriots over the Jets 38-14. Phillies beat the Marlins o 9-8-07 and 9-09-07 9-1 the first game and 8-5 the second. And the mets won both their games.But no one likes the mets. And Dallas and New York are about to kick off, but who cares right? Well anyway hurry home and enjoy the rest of your trip. Bye. Love Ford

MomMom and Pop said...

What can we say that hasn't been said already, With tears in our eyes.
God bless you three.

susan/chris said...

Dear Karen and Mike:
Congradulations! He is adorable! He is so lucky to be brought into a great family. We look forward to reading your updates.
Susan and Chris

cathi said...

This is the most exciting thing in the world. Yan(michael) looks adorable. I can't wait to meet him. You three are going to make a very wonderful family. love, cath

Pat&Maya said...

Karen and Michael-
Maya and I are so happy for you. The Kleenex box over our desk was depleted as we read your story. We can not wait to see more pictures and hear about all your visits. Wishing you much happiness and love.

Pat and Maya

Linda Scott said...

Michael and Karen:
I am so happy for you both. It has been a long and crazy journey, but the result was worth it!! Yan is a beautiful little boy and is just perfect. I can't wait to meet him. Now just relax and enjoy your new son. Your lives are now changed forever!

Linda

colleendejohn said...

Hey: I didn't even know this blog existed. Linda told me today. What a great story! Yan had me when he gave Karen the hug and told his buddies that you were his parents! How could you resist!! He is adorable - making hard for the rest of your life to look at that face and say "no." Hope all goes smoothly and you get back safely. I'm very excited for your family!
Colleen

Kim Charlier said...

Michael and Karen,
Congratulations! Yan is adorable! Your long journey is just beginning. Get ready for the best time of your lives! Here's wishing you 3 a lifetime of love, laughter and happiness.

Dina Bilinski said...

Dear Karen and Michael,

This is my first time responding, but I've read all your entries. What a great but seemingly exhausting experience for you two. My eyes completely welled up as I read this entry. I am so happy for you both. Good things come to those who wait. Yan is adorable. I can't believe he called Karen Mama on the second day. That's awesome! Does he know he'll have two dogs when he comes "home" to America? I hope everything goes well from this point on.

Dina

Hillary Andes said...

Michael and Karen
Yan looks great just like a 6 year old should, His smile says it all when Karen is holding his hand for balance and security. The kids can't wait to meet him and I think I'll throw a party at the Dooney's when you come home. We share your joy and be safe we will see you when you get home.
Love Bill

Carol Buenzle said...

Dear Karen:

I am enjoyed following your journey and the pictures, especially the one at the Mall and Louie Vitton! He is just beautiful and I know you will really enjoy being a Mom.
Can't wait to meet him.

Hurry home, your Mother misses you!!!

Carol Buenzle