Tuesday, September 18, 2007

As Requested: More Pictures

From the first day we met Yan, he has been an affectionate child. When he is not running around chasing a ball, he is very comfortable holding our hands, being held, giving hugs or playing with the hair on my arms/wrist (yea yea - I know - there is a lot to play with!). But he hasn't volunteered a single kiss. Every time we come and go we give him a kiss, but haven't got one in return. We weren't sure why and haven't stressed over it - it is what it is and Yan will let us know when we are "kiss worthy."

Yesterday, we brought him another puzzle to play with. The average lifespan of most toys we give him before ending up in another child's locker is about 2 - 3 days (except the basketball which Yan closely monitors at all times). After completing the puzzle for a third time, Yan leaned over to Karen to give her a hug and out of no where planted a big kiss on her cheek! Just like that - it was on. Papa even got one by the end of the day. As are many things with this "adventure", it is hard to put into words how it felt. Let's just say we look forward to many many more.

The Director of the Children's Home was not available to meet with us yesterday so we do not have an address to pass along. Hopefully, we will be able to get it today and pass it along tomorrow or Thursday. Tomorrow Karen and I will be attending school with Yan. We have been invited to come in earliar in the day to observe Yan in class and his morning routine. We are looking forward to it but will miss the "free time" we usually get with him in the afternoon.

Here are a few more pictures ( I was afraid I was boring you guys with too many):


Karen and Yan working on yesterday's puzzle


Dude with Karen's shades on

Yan and Michael in the playground

What Karen does most when we are not with Yan: e-mailing on the blackberry

We will send another update soon. Birds: 0-2 - ouch!! The weather is warming up again. Should be in the upper 70's by the end of this week. Happy to see GAM on the blog scene. K&M

17 comments:

andy szczepkowski said...

Good morning from Marlton. It's fall here now too, but we will be warming up with summerlike temps again by the end of the week and hopefully we'll make it "down the shore" this weekend!

Well, I grabbed my oatmeal and signed on to check the blog ths morning before heading to work and now ya have me crying in my oatmeal. What beautiful words! What beautiful pictures!! What a fantastic way to start the day with an update from the Sheerin Family. It sure does help make the time go by. Keep those pictures coming. WE LOVE EM!!!

Grandma said...

I love the pictures, He really is cool in those designer glasses. How could any child not love you two, you will be the greatest parents,after all Kate and I did a great job with you two, just ask us.
Paul is so excited to take Yan to Disney World, said, it is worth the wait. The puppies miss you.
Can't wait until you are home.
Love you,
Mom

Emily's Dad said...

Thanks for the photo's bro!

xoxoX <--- big 'smooches' from

The Lancaster Sheerins

Joanne said...

Karen

I finally remembered my passwood !!!! Its great to hear how well things are going. I can cry everytime I read the blog. You guys will be terrific parents and Yan is one lucky little boy !! Miss you here, but thinking and praying for you all the time. Love seeing the pictures...keep sending them....

Joanne

Pat&Maya said...

Great pictures - you can never post too many for us! We were so touched by "the kiss" - particularly Maya who wants you to know that a kiss really means a lot - it is truly from the heart. Will be anxious to hear more about Yan's school day - be sure to learn some more Russian letters while you are there!!!

Timmins Family said...

Thank you! Thank you! Thank you! LOVE the pictures and the stories! Boring? - IMPOSSIBLE! It is the highlight of our day, "Did you read the BLOG? Did you see the pictures?" Then we sit together and start all over again! But, nothing (so far!) tops the kiss story! What an awesome feeling! Thank you,again for sharing such moments with us. Now, I will join Andy in my soggy breakfast!
Love, Hugs and LOTS more kisses!
Maggie

Jackie (your favorite cousin) said...

All those pictures are just too cute for words. I am so happy for you guys. When I read that Yan gave Karen a kiss my heart melted. I am so happy you all of you. I can't wait you meet the newest member of the family.

Love
Kelly

Brent Owens said...

The pictures are great.

By the way the Patriots are confirmed and admitted cheaters and have been fined and disciplined by the NFL commissioner. Lots of tarnish on those trophies.

Mercia said...

Hi Karen and Michael,
So you guys got your first kiss!!! Congratulations!! It made me cry again:)Yes, there will definitely be more kisses, now that Yan thinks you both are "kiss worthy" God has truly blessed all of you. Hurry home:)

Joe Wicker said...

Hi guys cousin joey here I am so happy for you guys and cant wait to meet my new cousin he is so cuite.I Am so proud of you guys for all you went through to make this happen and you deserve all the best cant wait to see all of you good luck have a safe trip. love you guys
cousin Joey Wicker

Aunt Margie said...

what a truly wonderful blog today!!!!!Our cup doth runneth over with happiness.I love the pictuers of Yan,he looks so relaxed with both of you.Went to PJ Whellans for Steven's '21 'birthday celebration and everyone was asking if I saw todays blog,so here I am crying my eyes out.I will have beautiful wishes for you all tonight. Can't wait to tell everyone at work tomorrow. LOTS OF LOVE AUNT MARGIE

Aunt Margie said...

what a truly wonderful blog today!!!!!Our cup doth runneth over with happiness.I love the pictuers of Yan,he looks so relaxed with both of you.Went to PJ Whellans for Steven's '21 'birthday celebration and everyone was asking if I saw todays blog,so here I am crying my eyes out.I will have beautiful wishes for you all tonight. Can't wait to tell everyone at work tomorrow. LOTS OF LOVE AUNT MARGIE

Mom 4-5-Scott kids said...

Glad you are in a routine, love to see ANY pictures! As stated by GAM- Steven is now legal! My restaurant bills are growing, there are no more "kid menus", and now a bar bill too! He enjoyed the evening. Michael still home for a little longer, KT swimming 7 days a week, now driving, Ford, well, he's your dose of ESPN each day, and Callie, just waiting to get her cast off! Looking forward to new puppy "Goldy" 9/26. Presby is as busy as ever, and many ask how you guys are doing, so we follow the blog, and I post pics. Enjoy your remaining time in Ukraine. Let me know if I can do anything to make your transition easier! (Aunt Eileen is a great babysitter!!) Love much- E

ileene said...

Hi! To many pictures? We want MORE!I bet you never thought a kiss on the cheek could be so wonderful-just wait, it is only the beginning. Every little thing gets better and better, for all of you. It is so nice to keep track of everything. It truly makes my day!

love,
ileene
p.s. I see he is still loving the green t-shirt. SOOO cute!

The LaMonica Family said...

Hi you two! As I am wiping away the tears! How exciting... Yan sounds so cute... I am so happy to hear that you got your first kiss!! Woohoo!! :)

I love the pictures. Avery and I look forward to seeing them each day- and if there is not a new post from you- we keep looking over the old pictures...

Miss you.

Sharon said...

Love the new pictures! You guys make such a cute family! Hope all is well! The only good thing about being over there Michael is that you don't have to see the Eagles! It is really bad! Hopefully things will get better, but go Phillies!

Graves Family said...

Hey guys - what a great blog - it is such a great way to experience with you guys. I can not even imagine what you guys are feeling with each day - and now A KISS from your son!!! What a simple gesture that we here at home take forgranted. We are so happy for the both of you and look forward to seeing you home in Marlton!

Take care and God Bless - and Send MORE pictures!!! They are the BEST.

Gary Graves and the Graves Girls!!!